Grief can be overwhelming for adults...and for children, it can be especially difficult. Building Bridges is a support group specifically designed for children, grades K-12, who have experienced loss through the death of someone significant in their lives. Trained staff and volunteers offer support through the use of activities including art, music and other creative means to encourage children to express their feelings of grief and allow them to share cherished memories of their loved ones. Peer groups help decrease the isolation often felt by children who grieve, as they form bonds with other children who have also experienced loss. With Building Bridges as support, children come together to share the experience of life.
- Our six-week sessions are offered twice annually for children grades K-12. Check the Upcoming Events section for information on our next session.
- Groups are divided according to age, and each group is facilitated by carefully trained volunteers.
- Individual and group activities help the participants express their feelings and begin the journey toward grief resolution.
- Parents or caretakers attend a special adult session designed specifically for them.
- There is no charge to participate in Building Bridges and the program is open to any grieving child in the community.
Volunteers are the cornerstone of the Building Bridges program. Adults who have a special love for children, and a desire to help a child's grieving heart are encouraged to consider becoming a Building Bridges Volunteer. Training classes are offered to teach grief theory, developmental aspects of loss, the art of listening, and techniques to be used in the small groups. The training is offered in the late summer. Applications are accepted at any time. The cost is $15 and class size is limited. For more information on becoming a volunteer, call Melissa at 658-6524 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Browse all our events on our calendar.
New Volunteer Training
Upcoming dates: TBD; call Melissa at 658-6524 or email email@example.com
Individual Grief Support for Children
Individual grief support is offered year round for children needing extra care after the death of a loved one. This service is available to anyone in the community. For more information, call Melissa at 658-6524.
To Learn more read our What Children Can Teach Us About Grief page.